Monday, June 28, 2010

Fente: Femme The idea

The "fente" which means slit or crack in French was a series I started while working on the larger theme of "L'intime" or the "intimate" . I found the plaster walls of my studio crumbling off and I found the flaking pieces really kind of beautiful.

I started in the direction of the "beauty of the old and useless object".

I have always liked the aged surface on a wall, a house , the soft colors and the wabi sabi of decay. (Of course, it is seen differently when it is happening to YOU). Yes, I am of the "belle age" as we euphamistically call it here.

Nevertheless, this series has to do with the "invisibility"of women of a certain age... but also to do with the symbol of women: the "opening" . I will show this idea in several series to come.

Funnily, after I completed this series, I realized that I saw a 'standing woman" in almost every piece, but that had not been my intention. Do you see her?

No comments:

Post a Comment