The pain is felt in the lower back, buttock, and/or various parts of the leg and foot. In addition to pain, which is sometimes severe, there may be numbness, muscular weakness, pins and needles or tingling and difficulty in moving or controlling the leg. Typically, the symptoms are only felt on one side of the body.
Via Sayer clinics.com
Although sciatica is a relatively common form of low back pain and leg pain, the true meaning of the term is often misunderstood. Sciatica is a set of symptoms rather than a diagnosis for what is irritating the root of the nerve, causing the pain. This point is important, because treatment for sciatica or sciatic symptoms will often be different, depending upon the underlying cause of the symptoms. (wikipedia)
What I did:
1. Cried and gnashed my teeth a lot.
2. Took Drugs that I had around the house.
3. Visited the Chiropractor when the long weekend was over.
4. Used Heating pad night and day
5. Lay down but walked around some even though I couldn't sit down.
6. Astounded myself with what a wuss I was. Pain can reduce you to a whimpering jelly!
1. Crying and laughing (when the chiro told jokes) ( thanks Nicola)
2. Took Aspirin etc, Codeine saved me on the weekend the chiro was closed.
3. Drinking some lactulose and tons of water after the codeine. I found this out the "hard"way but better late than ....( thanks Jeanne)
3. Chiropractor visits. It was the pelvis completely out of alignment causing the problem.
4. Microwave heating pad ( thanks for your home made herb filled one, Andrea S.)
5. Knowing friends were standing by with offers of TLC ( thanks G and F, M et al)
6. Husband who was willing to tolerate an invalid and pitch in around the house and do my work too.
8. Reading the 2 volume Rumor Godden autobiography: A time to Dance ,No time to Weep and
A House with Four Rooms (Inspiring , astounding woman).
What not to do again:
Saw down a tree near the wall with my pelvis twisted at a funny angle.
"Ah ha" moments:
There are millions of people who have to live with this kind of pain every day!
Message to self: Be careful with your body, it's the only one you get and it is ultimately fragile!
Life goes on even if you don't answer your phone or emails!