Friday, October 11, 2013

Off I go again.

South Carolina, Middleton Plantation:   Photo by my friend Ken Schwarz (one of the friends I will visit)



I have to say that it is harder for me to pack than most people.  Monsieur can practically do it in his sleep.  Friends J. and G. travel so often, the same probably applies.  And some of my French buddies just travel with a back-pack!   

Not thinkable!  If you have just a "back- pack" what do you wear for all of different activities : climbing the dunes, lying on the beach, swimming, seeing museums, going to restaurants.... not to mention hanging about the house or a coffee shop swapping stories?  I am getting more casual but one change of clothes doesn't cut it.  Well, I will sort that tomorrow. 

Yes,   I am going off in a couple of days for several weeks (without Monsieur who will be staying put with Mozzi) to visit two sets of friends that I haven't seen for years.  They just happen to both live in South Carolina...on different sides of Charleston.

Besides getting a whiff of Charleston,  I understand that the lowland coast road to Georgia is a National Geographic destination.  So after the first week, I will meet my brother, Dave, and we will drive that route to Savannah, Georgia.

Sullivan's Island, South Carolina,  Photo by Ken Schwarz


 I first and foremost want to visit with my friends in their natural habitat.    But Dave and I both want to get a feel for our southern roots.  Our father was from Richmond, Virginia.  Growing up on the west coast, however, meant that we only saw our Richmond relatives a few times in our lives.  In fact we have pretty much lost touch with the cousins on our father's side.  When we were kids we did the trip from California to Virginia by car to see them at least twice and stayed one summer in Richmond for a time.

I have some hilarious memories of those unsettling road trips.  Just imagine traveling across country with a baby, 4 other kids under 12, and two adults all crammed in a Hudson Hornet with no air conditioner and you will have an inkling of why I won't be doing that again this lifetime.


I don't know what this trip will bring and that perhaps is the point of traveling.  So just to say that I may not get back to you for a while or open your mail ...but then if I can,  I might..... as sharing this diary with you has become a pleasure I didn't expect.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment