Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Would this happen here?



I may be romanticizing it but I found theThai people to be inordinately helpful, unselfish and kind.  One night in Chaing Mai I decided to go off to buy sunglasses at the night bazaar.  Tui gave me a map but I missed the instruction that first I was to turn right onto the road at the corner.  

I walked along a highway, dark and remote for 10 minutes before I realized my mistake.  So I cut over across and did find the Night Bazaar.  But my mistake was that I didn't relocate to the Burger King shown on the map... to find my way home. I thought I could find my own way by instinct.

I was wrong,  I walked down a dark, dark street and used my cell phone flashlight to avoid roots in the sidewalk, until I spied a posh hotel just across the street.  By then I needed to pee but doubted that they would let me use the restroom dressed in shorts and a tee shirt.  The night porter led me in, however. 

 Afterwards, I wandered to the desk to show my hand drawn map to the concierge, a beautiful Thai girl.  I said, " If I could get to the Burger King near the bazaar, I think I could find my way back."

I had no address of Tui's home, no phone number and only a few landmarks to go by.  I had always been so sure of my sense of direction so I went off too confidently.

  I told them that I lived near the Catholic church, and that I knew where the Kentucky fried Chicken was near me, and a coffee shop across from telephone wires where hundreds of Starlings perched every night.   These were all near my home stay.  

"Ah , the birds", said the porter.  I know the noisy birds, and I know a shortcut.  Can I take you on my motorbike?  

So that is how I got home that night before Tui and the family were ready to go to bed.  And the porter wouldn't take any payment for the favor.    These kinds of experiences followed me throughout the trip and probably that is partly why I will stay a fan of Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment