Wednesday, May 6, 2020

The Summons

 Sunrise Nice France,  Photo Dreamtime.com
The Summons

by Mary M Payne

I want to get up early before sunrise,
before the black birds even,
before the gendarmes patrol. 
I will tug on my clothes ,
shaking dreams aside 
and start down the empty road
to the forsaken sea.

I will watch the sky lighten by degrees
the first shards of gold, creamsicle orange, 
a fanning of pinks. 

I want to suffer again the “galets”
flat and round as dough cakes
shape-shifting under my feet, 
to hear the murmuring of old man Mediterranean 
encouraging, preaching, beckoning.

I will footmark the Covid forbidden beach
while I launch a prayer of thanks. ..
to the god of nature, to water spirits,
to trees, to bees and….yes, to people…
that rare sub-species…”the caregivers.”

I want to get up early before sunrise
before the street lights blink out,
before the merles’ tentative trills,
before the first stirrings, 
I will stealth on padded feet to the sea,
to glory in what we've never lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment