Friday, October 1, 2021

Poet's Club

My photo image showing that you can't quite capture the periwinkle sky I Nice with pixels, 

Poet’s Club

by Mary Payne


Having just read thirty random poems

I feel that I’m not authorized to call myself a poet…

to be in that revered club with Henry VIII 

and his “Some Sayeth Youth Ruleth Me” 

or with modern poets of dark disquiet, 

for I am a sanguine soul 

and I had a happy childhood.


There were three dresses in my closet

that my mother had sewn for me

and on Friday my father drove 

on the road to town with a list…

including a peach and a pear

for each of us, a five cent sherbet cone, and

a trip to the public library.


No gangs threatened our look-alike dwellings.

No rogue uncle roved at night to 

unsettle my sister nor I.

No one even drank!

But I love words too…how they leap

from my head when I least expect it

to explode on the unsuspecting page.


And I am old. Does that count for this club…

senior discount perhaps?

Not many years left

to tell all I want to tell…

about the crab man who runs sideways,  

about the infant gecko with his clown-like grin….

eaten by ants on his third day,


How my father tamed the meanest man

or how the Mediterranean sun

can turn the sky a purple/blue

so rich and full-throated

that it can’t be caught

by either film or pixels 

but perhaps only in a poem.  


No comments:

Post a Comment