Thursday, July 22, 2010

Flaveur: le restaurant

Caryn and owner Xavier Richard

Caryn points out the deserts




Note the injection device in my sorbet, hmmm.


I had such a good time at this restaurant with friend Caryn the other day that I decided to splash out and opt for the extra large photos.  Flaveur is about a year old and although it is close to my art supply stores  I had never noticed it until I saw it written up in a magazine. It has already been included in the prestigious Gault -Millau listing of best restaurants.  So much for knowing your own town.

 You will find Flaveur at 25 rue Gubernatis, Nice.  It is owned and run by three young men,  one who speaks English so well that I had to ask.  Turns out he is married to an American.  You absolutely must look up their story on their site which speaks of the team of three and their vision.

The dining room has fifties style decor, ( no chance of me hanging my pictures here) which is original  (as is the loo).  But the test is really the food..... which is stylishly served, exquisitely prepared and good value.

 For lunch you can opt for the 15 euro menu that comes with a choice of three main courses,  a glass of decent wine and a coffee .  For 23 euros you get an extra course with that.  We started with kir royal's in a celebratory mood and went on to the first menu which for us was a cabillaud (cod) in a red sauce.  The fish was delicate and flaky:   cooked to perfection and was enhanced by a delicate, slightly tangy tomato sauce probably made from fresh tomatoes.  It was a shame to leave a drop of it so we mopped it up with the( better than baguette) bread that is the staple on any french table.  

We ordered a desert ( 7 euros extra) just because I had forgotten to take out the camera and I wanted to report my findings.  My litchi concoction with the syringe was a bit too dreamy creamy for my taste and the syringe I didn't quite get... although I have seen this gimmick before. The artisanal sorbet would have done the trick for me if I had just had that.  It was a summer delight.

 The molleuse chocolate was good as they mostly are when made with good dark chocolate like this one.  (Of course we shared.) We were treated to a digestive on the house and had a home-made limoncello to finish.... all in all a memorable meal.

 The nights are booked at Flaveur until the end of the month.    The system is to reserve on :    reservation@flaveur.net    which works really well.  They call back to confirm.

and definitely have a look at their site ( it will translate into english):

at www.flaveur.net.

  Now if someone could just teach me how to make those sites come up live I would be forever grateful and if anyone wants to take me out for dinner at Flaveur or anytime, you're on.

No comments:

Post a Comment