Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mazel Tov

When the Jewish people say Mazel Tov they MAY mean congratulations,  or they may mean good for you , you survived a bad situation.   I am in the last category.

 Mazel Tov: It could have been a lot worse!

  Friday morning while we were eating our breakfast on the terrace, someone scaled the wall and climbed through  the window ( left finger prints too) and  stole my camera and my computer within a few meters from us.  They took nothing else and lots of "else" was in plain view so it could have been 100x worse.

This was a thump in the back of the head from the universe.  Stupid Ass... don't leave your windows open with stuff lying around!

Of course the first thing you do is pull your hair and lament.  The second thing is not to believe it and think that somehow you just put it in the refrigerator and it's safe but cold.  The third thing....and this goes on into the night with every little sound you hear.... is to dream of training  a 30 foot python who only eats creeping strangers.    Then fourth, you start thinking of how to build your home into a fortress with deadly spikes on the gate and broken class in a fourteen foot wall.

The only real solution is to accept it, make a few changes and move on... a little wiser.

  As I write, I am now navigating the alien and preposterous world of Monsieur's pc which if you are an "apple" fan , you know is really an outrage!  However, beggars can't choose so for a while I will stumble around and in a while there will be another machine and I will finally get to see if my hard drive worked in backing things up.

As for the camera,  it was 6 years old, a dinosaur.  To take a picture of the meals we had I had to stand on a chair to get enough distance.  I always had to crop my toes out afterwards.  And the mac was pretty old too.  The thief is going to be quite disappointed. Hee.

 Mazel Tov: I still have my health, some good pals,  and a house that did nothing wrong.  I can afford other gadgets, unlike most of the world..   I still have Monsieur who I am still figuring out after 30 years. I need more time for that.  I have tons of stuff to play with and a hoard of chocolate in the cupboard.

 Whoa, thank Christ they didn't  touch the chocolate or my Dad's ocarinas.  That would have been terrible, really  hard to take.

2 comments:

  1. Mary, no matter how good your attitude, it takes time to get over the violated feeling. I was robbed in two different apartments in New York and you can't help but feel haunted for a while. In one of them I was robbed from a window that I thought was safe. It remained a mystery of how he/they came in that window. Please don't call yourself a stupid a__. These things happen and who thinks of someone scaling a wall...

    On a related note, these thieves remain faceless, but once I went out into the hall when the police were bringing a thief downstairs. I looked right at his face (being curious the way I am and interested in forensics and crime) and he was handsome, but had a crazy Charlie Manson desperation in his eyes. He was a small youngish man. I inexplicably felt sorry for him because he was so trapped. I had never seen someone caught by the police that way for an apartment break-in. I hope I never do again.

    It is good that you didn't have a face-to-face encounter.

    Karen NYC xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mary....sorry to hear this and how brazen the thief was too! There are a lot of warnings on the radio right now about the many break ins happening but yours is very close to home...literally for me!

    Janice.

    ReplyDelete