Saturday, September 18, 2010

Flowers Wilt, Chocolates melt, Glassybaby Forever

      
  

Glassybaby is the name of a store started in Seattle by Lee Rhodes in 1998. It sells only two styles of extremely strong hand blown glass cups or glassybaby...one can be used to drink from but the other is designed to hold a votive candle.    They are made by a multi-layered glass blowing process and their color comes from different shaded color rods.  


                                                    
                             
   

  They are very seductive as the light generated from a candle gives a glow that is mesmerizing in its colors, complexity and visual comfort.    And there is a myriad colors to choose from.  When I was in Seattle I was determined to find the store this time and buy one.  I heard about them first years back and this time I saw them lit in splendor in my family's homes.



                                


Being a person fascinated by gradations of color I had a really, really hard time choosing, but I knew that there were restrictions on the weight of my "valise"  and they are 40 dollars apiece.    I had to light quite a few to decide.  They all were sensational with the candle inside.






Lee has a positive message that she sends out with each purchase.  She is a cancer survivor and wants the glassybaby to generate hope, healing and good will.





In the end I chose a blush pink called "taffy".    I am so glad I got it safely home.  It will light my winter.

Have a look at the gallery on their site. Glassybaby.com

No comments:

Post a Comment