Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mailbag 1

  Well, I have my new machine, well and good, but not fully set up yet.  I will be receiving some help this week but inevitably with the knowledge I have or haven't about computers, there have been some frustrations.

 When you see that the pictures have not lined up in blogspot, you can know that I spent up to 15 minutes + trying different corrections until the better part of me said, enough already, they will get the point and get over your perfectionism. It is just an ego manifestation.

But despite not wanting to post online, or not being able to, I have got some interesting feedback that I want to share regarding the last few posts.

 Regarding the bit on the friendliness issue, I have a french friend who says that saying that I am a" big mouth" is not a culture issue and it is just an individual response, not a french thing.

  Another reader from NYC reported that in China they don't encourage hugging as they don't encourage talking to strangers here. But she too thought it a long time to wait,  7 years, to get a hello from a neighbor.

  But upon reflection,  I think that language does play a part in it as neither of us ( FRench or American) wants to get into a conversation where we are out of our league.  It is a confidence thing.   I always feel bad when one of my neighbors launches into a long elaborate story which I can only partially follow.  But I still listen and nod.   There is no point in stopping the momentum, it seems.

Regarding the fine, big wedding.  No there is no other way to produce the quality of that wedding without paying for the artists etc.  And I am damn lucky to have been invited to participate in such a memorable event.    I am sure that it was the same for everybody there.  And I did love it.

I like that we get a conversation going, so let me know what you think either online or off.   It's good.

1 comment:

  1. I believe it is natural for humans and animals to acknowledge each other (right away) and that it takes a conscious choice not to. Contrary to what people think about NYC,, we say hello (and usually smile) to our neighbors all the time and continue it until someone moves. That might be the only thing we say in a lot of cases, but we say hello. When you leave the neighborhood that is another story. Energywise it would be hard to say hello to everyone.

    Good luck with your computer. ciao, Karen

    ReplyDelete