Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Silva Usta: artist

 This is my friend, Silva Usta http://www.silva-usta.com/accueil_silva_usta.php.

 She is one of a dozen artists that I know of working seriously on the cote d'Azur to have a life in the arts.    Yesterday I went along to the "Foire de Nice" where she was exhibiting her linocuts and intaglio prints and some new plexi-glass pendants necklaces which are her latest jewelry creations.
Silva is Armenian, born in Istanbul.  According to her site,  in 1972 Silva was to be found working in Strasbourg as a craftsman-jeweler.   Like so many artists,  however, she was attracted to the quality of the light in the south of France, and moved to Nice in 1980.  She soon became a student at the same school I have been following for years : the Municipal School of Plastic Arts of Nice (EMAP - "Villa Thiole")

 While attending this school in which many disciplines are included, she ironically discovered mosaic ( it is not one of the offerings at the school). This was the beginning of a great love affair she says.... for Silva has revisited this ancient technique and it has given free reign to her creativity in sculpture, installations, mixed media pieces and jewelry.

It is a treat to visit Silva's studio located in the musicians quarter, 22 rue Gounod (passage) rue Anton-Tchekhov 06000 à Nice.  Aside from the warm welcome and coffee,  Silva's enthusiasm and vibrant personality shows itself in the array of dazzling colors and endless delights to be found there. The day I visited, I ended up buying a fun and unusual necklace made from recycled nespresso capsules ( of George Clooney fame), which always gets complimented whenever I wear it. 


My necklace made by Silva

 Although I get to see Silva regularly in my engraving class at Villa Thiole,  I was curious to see what a stand at the faire would be like and who else exhibits there.  
    This time Silva was sharing the stand with another friend, Christophe Beraet ( who I will report on in another post ) and was exhibiting her "gravure work" and some new plexi-glass necklaces in the jewelry line.

  Definitely visit the website I listed above to have a full view of her range of works.  This is only a small sampling from yesterday of the playful world of Silva Usta.


 engraving on copper


Pendants on shell ( nacre)


Pendants on Plexiglass


Medium pendant 45 euros


                                                         Linogravure  / lino cut print

No comments:

Post a Comment