Thursday, May 17, 2012

Parc de la Tete D'Or : Lyon











One of the loveliest municipal parks I have ever had the privilege to nap in is called the Parc de la tĂȘte d'or in Lyon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_de_la_T%C3%AAte_d%27Or


 It's a vast space with a beautiful design and excellent gardens. The specialty irises in rich shades of gold, violet and mauve are magnificent at this time of year as are the roses.   Apparently there is a zoo within the 290 acres of the Park, but I hate the whole concept of zoos so I won't see that or the African safari animals either.  It is too hot a day to walk far anyway.   But if I come again to Lyon I will rent a city bike and do the tour.  

I came to the park an hour earlier than the opening of the museum of Contemporary Art of Lyon , open at 11am.   Since the park is just across from it, I did a partial garden tour with the park's  sunny and absolutely dark forests. .. an amazing variety of foliage, in fact.

 I came again to the Tete d'Or after spending over two hours in the museum with EVERY FLOOR occupied with the strange, garish and hallucinatory art of ROBERT COMBAS.

 I still don't know if I really love his work or am just in a trance.  But I do appreciate his work which I will talk about in one of the next posts.    

My commitment to looking at it for over two hours has ended in exhaustion, however.  I think I will just crawl under this gingko tree and lie down. So what if a goose craps on my shoes.    AFter ROBERT COMBAS,   this is the only place to be. 











1 comment:

  1. Thank you! this is the closest I will come to seeing it... wonderful to see it through your eyes!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete