Thursday, January 9, 2014

Hunting Island , Beaufort, S.C.

I am still looking back to my trip to South Carolina.   I never got to finish posting it and a few of you are curious to see the pics. 

I am behaving like Frank, a student I had when I taught second grade.  Frank seemed to take quite a few steps in place before he could move forward…and I mean literally.  That was how he got himself to run.  So here are two steps back, or in place…before I get started on 2014 and looking forward.

 When Dave and I left Charleston we headed for St Helena Island. This area of South Carolina is a Gullah stronghold where many of the first slaves lived.  There is still a very strong population of Gullah people in St Helena and at least one of the older ones spoke a dialect which was unintelligible to me when I asked him for restaurant ideas.   We were there on a Sunday and everything was shuttered but the churches .  In fact I could have walked to at least five churches near our motel in St Helena and I considered going to a service.  

 Actually, I would have loved to sing gospel, but instead we went to the Foolish Frog,  the best place to eat and the only place open on a Sunday.    It was our friendly, young waitress who advised us to go to Hunting Island before leaving the area .


Dave at Foolish Frog overlooking a view of the marshlands

 This island is a state park and one of the large secluded barrier islands.  It has been affected by an impressive amount of erosion too.  This effect creates dramatic sculptures of upturned trees in the sand and occasioned two removals of the lighthouse over its long history before it was decommissioned. 

  Here are a bunch of shots of the island, including the only storks we were to see on our trip.   They had found a pond in St Helena.













This osprey had a fish or is that an eel?

Big ole drumsticks all over the beach






The centerpiece of the island is an 1895 lighthouse.













Dave knows birds but they don't have these Storks in Oregon where he lives.


 Dave poses for me

This momma alligator poses too.  She moved into the visitors center pond and has made it her home for a few years.

Early morning start for the road to Bluffton.

No comments:

Post a Comment