Monday, August 4, 2014

Samantha and Christophe

My nephew and his new bride are visiting for a week as an extension to their Parisian honeymoon.  We are all having a peachy and amusing time swapping stories, feasting on summer fare ( team effort) and visiting just a few select attractions.   It's quite hot now in August for sightseeing and we are glad the couple wants to just "be" here with us.   









  The pair will be heading soon to live in the town of Annandale on Hudson in New York.   For his graduate studies Christopher has a full scholarship from Bard College in operatic voice and choral directing.    Sam will be working towards a museum curator's  degree or finding work in the town.  



 While here, Samanitha and I have been having a "gay old time" playing dress-up with my vintage clothes collection.  I am pleased that she wants to take some of the pieces with her.     Its time to pass on these clothes to a young and beautiful woman who will really wear them.  My niece Sarah and her mother have modeled them for me in years past with great style and panache.  Now Samantha is the only other person I have met who can actually fit into them.  

Like Sarah and Martha,  Samantha wears these outfits I enjoyed and collected with grace and charm.   In fact they look like they were made just for her. 



Barney's New York….. modern fox fur hat with modern coat


 60's Bill Blass sequined jacket with 30's straw hat


Straw and velveteen cloche from the 20's


Silk crepe silver studded 20's long gown cut on the bias


Leopard print deerskin hat from 50's
Beaded bonnet from the 20's



"Irene" designed suit probably from 40's or 50's




This is a hat I made from a nondescript felt hat and fur pieces found at the thrift store.   I wore it as part of my costume for Masha in THe Three Sisters in my theatre days in S.F.    This is my red scarf and thrift store coat I found in Nice.




This is a rare scarf that Monsieur gave me that is woven with gold and silver threads. It also has interesting tassels and is a 20's piece.  The necklace I bought in Hong Kong 30 years ago.  



Samantha models a cut velvet coat from the 30's




This dress is part of a collection of bespoke dresses Monsieur bought from the niece of the Reynolds Linoleum heiress in America

It is a fox fur trimmed velvet dress designed by Don Loper who also designed for Marilyn Monroe



A brass studded gown from the 30's



A 40's cheongsam with a myriad" hooks and eyes". That's what makes it fit like a glove. 


Christopher models a men's japanese kimono from the 30's.  Too bad I can't convince him that he will use it.



It was wonderful to have the newlyweds here and we hope that they will put us on their agenda for a future visit.  After all, Samantha hasn't yet visited her roots in Sicily.  And that would be as good an excuse as any for the couple to come back our way.  But knowing how "way leads on to way" I may have to visit them first.  

1 comment:

  1. Mary,

    Just been to your web site and was very impressed with the quality of your photos of Samantha. She is stunning and Christopher is a very fortunate man, indeed. Or as they say in Brooklyn, he's one lucky bastard.
    Also, saw the bootie that you've been sporting. Damn if it doesn't look like something out of StarWars.
    R/

    ReplyDelete