Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Gyotaku Part III

 

Moules. Print by Mary M Payne




Its a sunny, crisp day here in Nice...we are digesting last night's speech from President  Macron explaining our gradual release from lockdown for Christmas and then, possibly, back to confinement by January 20. 

  It is all a bit bewildering , especially the part about the vaccine being ready by December!!!

  All the iconic blue chairs have been removed from along the Promenade des Anglais and as of last week, the dozens of benches that dotted the sea have been unbolted and locked away.
  No more lingering to listen to Old Man Mediterranean and chat with a neighbor.

  With confinement I don't actually have an art class to go to anymore...classes being on Skype...so I am taking time out from class to report what I have done online .  I see that I have not weighed in on my art blog for two years.   I know I have a few followers on this one though.. so "voila".  

Back to the fish series...

Above is the page I created for the letter M for Moules (French) or Mussels. 

 I originally envisioned using my Chinese character seals on some of the pieces as this type of seal or chop is used by the Japanese as well and it was the Japanese who created Gyotaku. 

For that theme, I found some 1950's Japanese newspaper from Etsy and I used that as background for this collage.   

The "moules" stamps I carved from a piece of soft rubber- like material that can be found in craft stores. 

The red paper is a "gelli-plate" creation.  You will see it again for the "endangered" piece.


1 comment: