Saturday, January 4, 2020

The Barber shop

Now it's hard to believe that I was talked into bringing a hairdryer to Thailand as every town has shops or salons that will do a great job.

Thai hairdressers in Chiang Mai

The first salon I went to on our trip was almost across the street from Pom's family home in Chiang Mai.  I was led into the back of what looked like a men's barber shop... where there were several lounge beds and ladies giving shampoos.  I lay down on one, my head perched over a sink... so much more comfortable than a chair. 

Then the coiffeuse started the shampoo.... with vigor, with intensity.  After about 15 minutes of this I made the universal cut off sign and the washing stopped ....for a moment, while she rinsed my head.    I was afraid with this robust treatment I wouldn't have any hair left.

Then it started up again with more shampoo and a kneading of my scalp, then my shoulders then my neck.  The standard, I found out later was three shampoos, three rinses.  

 After another 20 minutes of this I didn't care if there was hair left or not, since I realized that this was going to be a serious head massage, the likes of which I had never experienced.

An hour and 15 minutes later I emerged from the back, dazed but happy with hair still intact, happy clean hair.

The styling took about 15 minutes and all that was 100 baht, about $3.29.    

Then if you aren't fussed about privacy, there were these two charming barbers at the outdoor market. 

Barbers at the bazaar


No comments:

Post a Comment