Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fleur , the idea

This is a series that I did using an old string technique that I used teaching nursery school years ago.  It seems that as an artist like a scientist, you will try anything!   There are also other mixed media secrets thrown in.  It is mostly acrylic and ink and it is on 250 gram acid free Canson paper that has been stretched.

I was inspired really by an x-ray photo of a tulip that I saw somewhere.  I thought it embodied what I wanted to say about women.  No , this series is not really about flowers.

 It is about the striving to be perfect and sexy and seen.  Women kind of do it innately because in our society we are brought up to be "decorative".  Maybe it is a primordial urge too.  But most of us really enjoy it.  I don't think it is betraying any secrets to say that we use make-up and clothes and visual tricks to our advantage when we can.  We mostly love using our faces and bodies as palettes.

 Sometimes we don't love it and just wish that it didn't figure in it.

I also wanted to show transparency and vulnerability.  The vulnerability of knowing that visual is not everything....not even close.

No comments:

Post a Comment