Sunday, October 10, 2010

So hummm. It's 10/10/10.

I have decided that you have to make yourself happy.   It's your job.  If you aren't happy neither is anyone else in your entourage.   To that end, I had a super coffee/decaf this morning, listened to my music and ate kitchen sink cookies for breakfast. ( They were in this case, oatmeal-raisin-chocolate chunk-sunflower seed, 5 grain cereal cookies.) Kitchen sink just means you put in anything and everything except the sink, of course.      I just felt like it and then I went out for three hours to tackle the garden.

Gardening is almost always a pleasure for me although at a certain point a garden is mostly maintenance.  Still it is satisfying to trim back and weed and pick up debris so that it all looks so serene afterwards.  You can create little pockets of perfect scenes with colors and shapes and you can get that great false feeling that you are in control!    And you can smell and feel nature and its relentless optimism for growth.  There's certainly always that.

 I could never get into sit-still type meditation.  But doing a repetitive activity, as with hiking or creating art you get out of your head. With gardening as well, you get out of your thought system and just dig in. 

 I have a thing I call the Hundred Leaf Meditation.  The bay tree  (sauce Lauriel) drops leaves constantly and they never disintegrate so at some point, every so often, I go out and pick up 100 leaves.  It is just a thing I do.  Some people would wait and rake them but we have that Japanese bumpy grass so that is not so easy.    And besides, it is a little trip into nature, and a chance to pass your hand over the bumpy grass...like a caress.  

  So have a happy 10/10/10. It's only two more years that we will have this amazing happening of numbers lining up.  It's bound to be auspicious so enjoy the mystery of it and go out and pet some grass. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Maypay!
    oatmeal-raisin-chocolate chunk-sunflower seed, 5 grain cereal cookies..
    that is truly a mouthfull
    I will do the Hundred Leaf Meditation today..there is a huge Birchtree here in the garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful photograph!
    The south of France at it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, So happy you liked the Hundred Leaf meditation. This is one of my little bumpy grass corners in the garden and as you can see there are always a few golden leaves on it awaiting my next meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll do your 100 leaf meditation in Central Park. Thanks for a beautiful posting. I am a little nature deprived and need to pet some grass asap! ciao, Karen Victoria

    ReplyDelete