Monday, May 20, 2013

Ma Yucca: Restaurant


My new favorite Niçois restaurant is the brain-child of Mayu and Yuka Ueda.

   Combining their two names they call the restaurant:  Ma Yucca. 

  Yuka graduated from the Jsuji Hotel school in Lyon in 2000 and worked in a couple of two-star Michelin restaurants before striking out on her own with a new concept:  combining French with Japanese flavors. 

 Mayu, (who I did not meet today) started out to be an English professor and lived in both England and Australia before returning home and choosing, along with her sister, to enter the world of gastronomy.   After varied restaurant experience, she now runs the "front of house" in Ma Yucca.     For a while Miwa will be taking her place while Mayu visits in Japan. 


From a "Franco-Japonais carte" for lunch..... of two starters,  three main dishes,  and four desserts,  one can choose the "plat principal" alone for 12 euros,     the "plat principal" and an "entree" or a dessert for 16 euros, or three courses for 26 euros.   Very reasonable.



I ordered the Emincé de poitrine de porc au miso au Yuzu sur un bol de riz et oeuf mollet  and it came elegantly displayed on this wooden tray with a small bowl of miso and a very soft boiled egg to pour over the "porc".  I have to say that it was the best pork dish I ever remember tasting!   It was sauced perfectly and the egg blended well with the rice.   







For dessert I ordered a chocolate cake with three tastes of berries and a "creme anglais". (Gâteau roulé aux framboise et chocolat It was so enticing that I forgot to snap the photo before I took my first bite.  It is good cake with a mousse and strawberry filling.



I could see in the middle of all the articles and accolades, a letter from Mayor Christian Estrosi.  




This is Miwa, who is filling in for Mayu who is in Japan. 

And here is the team with Yucca, (second from the left) who is the head chef.  Brava Yucca and all of you.



After a lovely meal with a glass of rose´ for only 20 euros , I wandered across the street to Ma Yucca Maison   http://www.mayuccamaison.fr/ the gift shop run also by the sisters and an assistant. 





You know how I am fond of "wood block" printing so these reproductions caught my eye.  Wow, 3 euros, can that be right?



I have a feeling that these cloths are for gift wrapping.  The Japanese have an aesthetic that is close to my heart.


and here it is,  the double meaning of Ma Yucca....a plant that is known for its explosive growth! 



Be sure to make a reservation.  When I walked in the dining room was full. 
 Well, of course it was.  It's an excellent place to be.... alone or with friends.   And please, if you do go, mention this post.

 PS.  (Thanks G. and P. for the discovery, and next time we won't get our signals crossed and have lunch together.)

Here is the website:  http://www.mayucca.fr/

Informations pratiques

Réservation uniquement par téléphone au 04 93 88 39 84

Nous vous conseillons de réserver en avance.

Adresse :
Ma yucca まゆっか
26 rue de la Buffa
06000 Nice
Fermé les dimanche et mardi

1 comment:

  1. Happen to pass this restaurant the other day... And gazed in the window and at the carte.. Ok I'll give it a try now

    Diane

    ReplyDelete