Saturday, March 9, 2013

Aquatint Part III

 On to part three of the process of making an Aquatint engraving:  
After I have run my plate five times through the acid, covering the areas for the various value tones as I go, I am ready to try a print.  I first need to rinse and dry the plate from the acid bath and then remove all of the "stopping out" varnish I have gradually added to the various sections.   


Using the chamois leather covered "poupee"
1. Inking the plate: 
a.) To ink the plate we use a dabber or "poupee" in a rocking motion to make sure the ink penetrates all of the bitten areas.   

Three pieces of tarlatan from the first black one to the whitish one used last.

b.) Wiping the plate: tarlatan 
Three pieces of stiff gauze or "tarlatan" are used in succession after the ink is applied.   The first takes off most of the excess ink on the surface of the plate, the next darkest one still more, and by the third one, I can see the design quite clearly. 


Photo: Magicalsecrets.com 

c.)  Hand-wiping of the plate. 
One of the oldest methods is to wipe the plate in a sweeping motion with the heel of the hand. This insures an even distribution of ink.  It is our preferred method after the tarlatan is used and that is why you will see my right palm still a bit inky on Friday and Saturday.  It takes about 3 days to wear off. 

 The first print " premier tirage".
1.) Drying the paper: 
 The "BFK Rives" sheet to be used is taken from the water bath where it has been soaking, is dried carefully with a towel.

2.)  Printing: 
 The inked plate is placed face up on the flat of the press and the paper is dropped on top.  For this reason , one must measure to make sure the paper is centered before dropping it in place.  Then I place the leather and felt sheets  ("langes") on top of the  paper before rolling it through the press.  


 Photo by dcimprint.com
3.  Now I have my first print and I can tell by looking at it ( below) that I have not removed all of the resin with "alcohol a bruler".  Also my darkest blacks are not very dark.  




Next I will show you the corrections I have tried.  

No comments:

Post a Comment