Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge



I know I promised to bore you with my photos of my trip but I have been busy editing my garden.  The gardener can't go away for 3 weeks and not expect things to riot.   And Monsieur has his own riots to quell, i.e. business! 

 In the last few days I have taken out nine large bags of clippings from the studio garden and my own patch.  I have to cut back the grapevine and I have been tackling the many thorned Pyracanthus and have the scars to prove it. 


  I count gardening as therapy so I'm not complaining .  I would rather be outside then in when there is Autumn in the air. 


To continue the story of my trip to The Lowlands,  the third week I met up with my brother, Dave who had flown into Savannah from Oregon.   We started out in Charleston since he had not seen it and there was plenty to do.


 We did do some of the touristy things like take the carriage ride and the harbor boat tour which are highly recommended for newcomers.  


The latter was more fun than you might imagine, seeing the landmarks from a different vantage point and hearing jokes about local pirate lore.  


I was rather more taken, however, with views of the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge (or the New Cooper River Bridge).  


 It is the bridge I had crossed several times while visiting South Carolina as it connects my friends in Mount Pleasant with the rest of Charleston. 


 It is an eight lane bridge built in 2005 to replace two worn out cantilever truss bridges and although not as impressive as France's Milau Viaduct, (it is a small bridge by comparison) it is as attractive as it is necessary. 


 As our boat passed before and under it I got these shots. 


 There is also a lovely parkway pier built underneath it where one can swing three abreast; reflect on one's brilliant life; and/  or fish:  three of my favorite pastimes.













































And here is what's left of Fort Sumpter where the first shots to start the American Civil War were fired.  


 I grabbed his shot from the web. of how it looked before the walls were destroyed. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment